Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a zdp36n4d and the door wont unlock. I have tried

Customer Question

I have a zdp36n4d and the door wont unlock. I have tried turning off power at the breaker for long periods of time and it won't unlock. I've read elsewhere on the internet to initiate the clean function for a short amount of time and then let it cool. Still nothing. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

You likely have a bad latch motor. You need to manually open the door. Get a piece of flexible plastic or metal and slip it between the door and the frame. Slide it starting from the far RIGHT of the door to the LEFT. You will hit the door latch hook and then keep pushing to the left and the door will open. Once open you can then replace the latch on the unit. Here is a link to it for you. That is about all you can do when that happens on your unit.

CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately the suggestion you offered wasn't accurate. There is absolutely no way to put anything in between the oven door and access the lock latch. Perhaps you were referring to a different model number. At any rate, I'm sure generally you know your stuff, but this wasn't helpful.What other ideas do you have?

There is nothing more you can do if the door latch motor will not run. The door opens and I have done this countless times you can get something between the door and the frame on any oven including yours. There are really no other ideas as the door latch is not accessible otherwise and if the motor does not run, it is like locking your keys in your car...you have two options get a slim jim and open it or smash the glass and open it. Trust me if there was another way I would be glad to tell you, but there just is not in these cases with that style door latch. If you call a tech out you will see him use a slim jim and open the door, I do them all the time.