Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an EDW5500 dishwasher that won't run a cycle.

Customer Question

I have an EDW5500 dishwasher that won't run a cycle. Displays Er and heavy wash. Doesn't usually respond to the on off button and won't change cycles. When it does turn on it sounds like its running then it shuts down. We haven't used it enough for it to wear out.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

When you get Er on the display, it means that the touch control panel itself is beginning to short out. Often times this occurs due to humidity affecting the touchpad and shorting it out. Either way, the touch control panel would need to be replaced to fix the issue and you'll need the full model number to order the correct part. The model you have listed is a partial model number but the full model is located on a sticker around the front frame of the tub and can be seen if you open the door.