Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Kenmore icemaker makes ice but won't dump the ice into

Customer Question

My Kenmore icemaker makes ice but won't dump the ice into the container. Last time this happened, the motor module needed to be replaced. So, the questions are, is it possible that this time it's the same problem, and is this something I can do myself?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So it's definitely possible that the icemaker module has failed, but there are also other possibilities. If you open the door first, look at the red light to the right, is it flashing 2 times and then pausing over and over? If you shut the flap on the left side and make a clear path from right to left, does the light turn solid?

OK, now look inside the icemaker itself, is there any ice or water in the icemaker mold? There are white fingers that push the ice out of the icemaker mold, what direction are they facing? Are they above the horizon or below? Pointing forward or backwards?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure I know what you mean when you say make a clear path from right to left? White fingers are facing away from me, they are slightly above the horizon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Red light is flashing twice then pausing, continuously.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

When you close the flap on the left side, there should be a clear path between the red flashing light and the left optical eye. If the light turns solid then the emitter boards are good and you'll need to replace the icemaker---if it keeps flashing twice, replace the emitter boards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Light turns solid red, so, you're saying I need to replace the whole icemaker?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this something I can do myself?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Correct, unfortunately the icemaker has failed again I'm sorry to say. Below is a link to the icemaker you'd need to order for your model as well as a video that shows you how to replace it.

CLICK HERE for icemaker

CLICK HERE for video

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for your help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem. I certainly which I had better news for you but I hope you understand I can't control what needs to be done to fix the unit. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.