Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

At what temperature does PVC turn to or emit toxic dioxin?

Customer Question

At what temperature does PVC turn to or emit toxic dioxin? The temperature of a dryer machine on high?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** wil lbe helping you today. PVC starts to burn at 284 degrees Fahrenheit, your residential dryer has a max temperature of 180 before the safety switches kick on and shut the dryer off.

Please hit the accept and rate button. If you are going to rate me negatively, remember I am here to answer your question to the best of my ability and to ensure you are fully satisfied. IF you have any more questions feel free to ask me. Have a good night,.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK so it doesn't become dioxin unless 284 degrees is attained?
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

That is correct and unless you have a direct flame on the pvc and it's only near the dryer you are fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But this website says that PVC distorts at a much lower temperature than that - just 54-80 degrees Celsius, which is much less than 284 Fahrenheit. Does PVC distortion still lead to dioxins?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I mean this website.www.pvc.org/en/p/heat-distortion-temperature-softening-temperature
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Let me ask you a question, are you using said pvc as an exhaust? That would be against building code, flexible metal is what's required. If not, I've read from multiple sources pvc doesn't start burning until 284 degrees Fahrenheit and it doesn't emit toxins until it starts burning. I'm not home but I can pull up the sources later.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but someone got PVC into the interior drum of my drying machine. It seems perfectly plausible to me that a dryer interior drum would get to 54-80 Celsius during its cycle.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

PVC doesn't release toxins unless extreme heat is applied to the pvc, 50-60 degrees Celsius is only applicable if the pvc isn't sprayed with flame retardant material. All pvc must be sprayed with flame retardant.

Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

If it was me however, I would remove the pvc for piece of mind. Where is the pvc exactly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is PVC residue inside the dryer drum. can't be removed.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to opt out. I've answered your question accurately, I don't know how else I can ho you. You choose not to believe me, maybe another expert can help you. Good luck

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Why risk the safety of your family? If you are in doubt, replace the dryer fro $300 or less. The peace of mind will be the best investment you have made.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the PVC inside the dryer drum may really turn to dioxin at 54-80 C?If R410a Puron refrigerant were heated in a dryer drum, would it become hydrofluoric acid?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

There are so many variables with a dryer. If the vent is plugged, it will get too hot. If the filter housing is dirty, it will get too hot. The exhaust air is not designed to be more that about 160* F, but the drum temperature can be much hotter, especially if the air flow is reduced. Replace the dryer.