Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I cannot see any screws in the freezer compartment to remove

Customer Question

I cannot see any screws in the freezer compartment to remove to get to the defrost drain hole behind the panel in my top freezer GE model GTS20ICNCWW. Appreciate you can share some light.
Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So the back panel is the part that needs to come out to see the drain hole. Remove the icemaker if you have one installed. There are just a few screws above the icemaker you need to unscrew and then unplug the icemaker and pull it out. Remove all the food inside and the shelving inside the freezer. Other than that the back panel is just clipped in around the center vent area. Slide a flat head screwdriver into the top slots toward the center of the back panel and pry on the hidden clips behind the vent to release the back panel and pull the panel forward and out.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I email you the photo can you show me what you are referring to?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I can't give out my E-mail. But there are only 2 horizontal vent holes at the top of the back panel toward the center and that is where you pry and pull the back panel forward.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The center is like a wine glass right, there are 2 vertical 3 by 3 vent holes on both sides. In the middle on the top is a tiny rectangular hole and down in the middle is a longer vent hole (just above the temp control) and on both sides are also 2 45 degree holes. Then right below on both ends are another 2 holes. I did not see the 2 horizontal vent holes at the top of the back panel toward the center.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I mean there are 2 block of vertical 3 x 3 vent holes ( just to make it more clear)
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, and then there are 2 more slots toward the top .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don' t see that that is why I would like to show you the photo
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK well I'm going to opt out then and suggest you call a technician out because I'm not sure how else I can explain it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me attach the photo for you to see
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to upload a photo for you to see and you can just point it out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mr. Tyler, attached is the photo if you still wish to continue the conversation. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please look at the photo and tell me exactly where the 2 horizontal vent holes at the top of the back panel toward the center are.
i.e. which holes should I ply with the flat head screw driver to remove the back panel. Thanks