Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

MFF2258VEM5 refrigerator stopped cooling in the refrigerator

Customer Question

MFF2258VEM5 refrigerator stopped cooling in the refrigerator section, the freezer seems to work well. Refrigerator is less than 5 years old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK perfect, thank you for that added information. This means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running and needs to be replaced. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own. Now if for some reason both parts have continuity, replace the display board at the top of the refrigerator since that is what controls the defrost cycle.

To remove the back panel itself, just remove all the screws going into the back panel to start. There is a plastic vent directly in the middle toward the top of the back panel that you must unclip. There are 3 hidden clips you must pry on with a flat head screwdriver to release this vent panel and below is a picture where I drew an arrow to all the clip locations you need to pry on.

To the right of this vent is a little oval plastic cover which houses a temperature sensor. Slide a flat head screwdriver into the slit on the front of the cover and pry in the hole to release this cover and get the sensor out of the way. Now you can pull the back panel off.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.