Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I HAVE A GE PROFILE REFRIGERATOR MODEL #PFSS9PKYASS. NEITHER

Customer Question

I HAVE A GE PROFILE REFRIGERATOR MODEL #PFSS9PKYASS. NEITHER THE REFRIGERATOR OR FREEZER IS GETTING COLD. THE FANS INSIDE BOTH ARE NOT COMING ON BUT THE CONDENSOR FAN IS ON.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

IS the compressor warm to the touch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT IS AND THE COMPRESSOR FAN IS RUNNING

OK is the compressor running and vibrating..make sure it is vibrating...If so you need to remove the back panel in the freezer and check the frost pattern on the evaporator coil. If the compressor is not running but just hot let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT IS RUNNING AND VIBRATING. THE FREEZER SECTION (LOWER PART) EVAPORATOR DOES NOT FEEL VERY COLD BUT THE REFRIGERATOR EVAPORATOR WAS FROZEN JUST AT THE TOP LINE. NO FANS COMING ON IN EITHER THE REFRIGATOR OR FREEZER SECTION

Ok this sounds like your three way valve is not working..they have a valve that controls the sealed system, which has been an issue. This is a complicated repair, but here is what it does and I believe yours has failed like all the other ones. This is not a DIY job by any means you would need a tech out for this and it is very common to fail.

3-Way Valve
The 3-way valve, like previous models, controls
refrigerant fl ow to the evaporators. When the
refrigerator is off, or in defrost, the valve is open to
both evaporators allowing for equalization.
If both compartments require cooling, the valve
opens to the fresh food only. Refrigerant flows
through the fresh food evaporator and then through
the freezer evaporator which has the common
suction line to the compressor. When the fresh food
is satisfied, the valve will open to the freezer only
until the freezer is satisfied and the refrigerator
cycles off.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHERE IS THIS 3 WAY VALVE LOCATED? AND THAT DOES EXPLAIN WHY THE FANS ARENT RUNNING INSIDE THE FREEZER AND FRIDGE

The fans and threes way valve are controlled via the board, the board could be bad. Now have you tried to unplug the unit for 1 full minute and plug it back in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE.

Ok this unit is very complex for testing I can run you through diagnostics, but due to the time it will take on my end I need to send you an offer more as the question value for this unit is too low for the amount of time I will spend on the issue as today is extremely busy. If you would like me to do that I will otherwise I can place your question back on the board for others to assist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HOW MUCH MORE?

If you need help on this get back to me later tonight when it is not as busy and I can try to assist you further if you can wait.