Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

MY LG REFRIGERATOR HAS BEEN MAKING AN CLICKING NOISE AND

Customer Question

MY LG REFRIGERATOR HAS BEEN MAKING AN CLICKING NOISE AND WOULD ONLY COOL TO ABOUT 40-50 DEGREES FOR A COUPLE DAYS. SO, I UNPLUGGED IT AND IT STARTED WORKING PROPERLY BUT THE CLICKING NOISE IS STARTING AGAIN. WHAT MAY BE THE ISSUE?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

That clicking noise is the compressor overloading and cutting out. If you listen close next to the compressor on the back, you'll see that the clicking is coming from the side of the compressor. This is not something you can just reset. When the compressor cools down (like unplugging the unit for awhile) it will work normally until the compressor warms up again. Either the overload relay on the side of the compressor is getting weak and needs to be replaced or the compressor is just starting to overheat and needs to be replaced. You can't replace the compressor yourself so I would just replace the overload relay since you can't test to determine if it's weak or not. The part number you'd need to order for your model is EBG44336201. It's the small plastic box device attached to the side of the compressor where the wires plug in. If this doesn't solve the problem, you'd need a technician to replace the compressor which is about $650 I'm sorry to say.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are these parts I can get from a local store? if it is the compressor, do you recommend repairing it? I find when appliances get repaired it seems to bring on other issues
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Most likely the parts would not be available in a local store, but you can order them at Searspartsdirect.com if needed. If the problem is just the overload relay I would definitely just fix it because the cost is maybe $50 for the part. But if you need a new compressor, I might think about just replacing the appliance rather than repairing it.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?