Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Have crosley wcf16/w3 upright freezer, 9 years old. Top

Customer Question

Have crosley wcf16/w3 upright freezer, 9 years old. Top shelf temp 36 deg bottom shelf 4 degrees is that a sign it is dying?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the bottom is colder than the top, it sounds like your fan isn't running or your have a defrost problem. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?