Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. working for a major domestic appliance company. Numerous training programs with cities, guilds and major manufacturers.
14831508

Have multiple problems. When I use the regular wash cycle,

Customer Question

have multiple problems. When I use the regular wash cycle, it does not finish but hangs up either on the rinse or the spin cycles. Sometimes I have to manually reset and restart it and then it works. But it usually works on the light selection of regular wash. Also, the warm water selection does not work, puts out cold water. But hot water and cold water works. I was wondering if it was the timer or selector switch, or if it is the lid switch. Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Im so sorry that no oneelse has responded to you.

Apologies for my delayin replying, I only just came online and saw your question. Are youstill looking for help with this?

Please don't rate myanswer until we have explored all possible avenues. Please just usethe reply button to contact me.

This will be a process of elimination

The easiest and most likely culprit is the lid switch

Turn off the power and test the continuity of the switch with a multimeter. Make sure the lid is engaging and operating the switch each time its opened and closed

Thanks

Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I will take your advice and get a new lid switch. I already have the washer top compartment open to change the lid switch.
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I suggest you test it first

In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate myresponses so far? Please use the smiley faces / stars, which youshould now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not thewebsite or the problems you have had with this machine.
This willnot close your question and you can still come back to me if you needmore help
Thanks
Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rob,
Did go out and bought a new lid switch. Replaced it and still not working. Kind of disappointed. Let me resummarize the situation:
After I put in the new lid switch, put washer to normal cycle (in regular mode), and hit start button. Washer "sensing" light turned on. After water filled then, sensing light went off, green wash light started blinking. Blinked for about 5-10 minutes as I stood there and watched. Then after about 5 more minutes, green wash light stopped blinking and just stayed green. I re-hit the start button, and the green wash light started blinking again. There sounded to be like two attempts of something cycling like the motor was trying to run, but both occasions, it quickly stopped. Could it be the shift actuator that is bad. Don't want to go down a path and keep buying different components only to find out it is not the problem, because one of my first thoughts was to just buy a new washer, different brand. Had a new Matag front load washer for 2 yrs, but broke 3 times, 2x was the lid switch, so after the 3rd failure, I dumped it and bought this then new Whirlpool. Had it 2 yrs without problems but now this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will be gone for the day; playing golf.
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Im not sure why you just boght this part and didnt test it like I suggested

There is no point in just buying bits and replacing them.

I am off now also, so will opt out

This means that if someone else has this information, they will respond toyou directly.

Inthe meantime, please DO NOT rate or respond to this question, as thiswill lock your question

Thanks

Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rob, you're right. I was wrong. Should have ready your notes more carefully. Guess was just looking for a solution and was hasty in my action. I oversimplified the problem solving process and did not give consideration to the steps of troubleshooting to find the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rob,
I am ready to give up and just call a repairman. I keep reading about the symptom (I don't know if it is categorized as "does not agitate" or simply does not do a "wash cycle"), but everything I read about this issue, points to something with the dog ears, cam, O-ring, agitator unit, etc. When I look at the dog ear "teeth" it does catch like a lock onto the inside of the agitator teeth, so that seems to be workable. The symptom is still :: when I start the machine with the start button, the green sensing light come on and blinks while the water fills up, then after water stops the sensing light goes off and the green wash light comes on blinking, then stays on when the red lid light comes on, and then I can hear 2-3 sounds attempts like, a new phase is trying to start, but just ends.