kingmz
kingmz, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 10,000 home appliance repairs, manages and runs my own company.
64161474

Kitchen Aid garbage disposal model KBDS250X4, trying to

Customer Question

Kitchen Aid garbage disposal model KBDS250X4, trying to replace switch.... removed disposal from the sink, removed three screws from the top but still can't get the cover off from over where the switch is.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** will be helping you today. Do you still need help with the disposal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I was away when you responded.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Okay, you have the 3-4 really long screws taken out already right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long is really long? There were 3 screws about an inch long that I removed with difficulty... two were rusted away to practically nothing. I'll need to replace them for sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just hoping that the threads in the holes are undamaged.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Where were these screws located that you removed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were on the top of the disposal in a metal ring of sorts. I thought I'd be able to remove the ring but it feels like it's still secured somehow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ring held the thick rubber ring that seals the disposal to the bracket in the sink.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Okay, towards the middle of the disposal there will be 4 really long flat head screws, maybe about 3-4 inches long. You have to remove those in order to remove the shell of the disposal. Once those screws are out, use a hammer and lightly tap the flat head at the part where the screws were, you will see where the shell comes apart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the top or the side?
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

let me see if I can find you a video, okay I found one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhN4qzTieCA This isnt a KA but the concept is the same.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The outer plastic cover is still there, that's what's giving me trouble. I removed the three screws that I now see go into the grinding area, one hole at least is see-through. But nothing will come apart and I see no more screws, on the top anyway. I removed the bottom and put it back, didn't expose anything useful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could send a photo if you like.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

sure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I set the screws on the metal ring portion for your amusement... one in particular is half gone.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

reformat the size, its way too big I cant see it clearly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One minute.. how small do you want it to be?
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

small enough so I can just view the image on my screen, if you click youre link youll know what i mean

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks fine to me but I'll crop it down and reduce the res a bit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rubber gasket or whatever is pushed in a bit where I was trying to pry the metal part up with a screwdriver. It didn't budge so I didn't try too terribly hard.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

I will try and find info on this unit, although I have never taken apart a KA disposal. More times than not it just makes more sense to replace the unit instead of fixing it. I think that switch costs about 80 bucks and for a few extra dollars you can buy a new one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Come to think of it that ring and the rubber piece that goes over it must hold the weight of the disposal so I would think there would be a little more to it than 3 small screws. I thought maybe it would thread off so I tried a strap wrench on it. No joy, although I didn't try super hard.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Remember, it can be rusted shut, take some wd 40 and apply it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already have the switch and the couple gaskets that might need replacing ready to use, seemed like a comparable disposer was a little bit pricey.. this is a 1HP unit.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

oh 1 HP, then yeah its worth it to fix it

Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

I read there are two bolts at the bottom that hold that switch in place, so far you have been working on the top of the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the bottom plastic shell off and all I got to was the motor. Power goes into the bottom of the motor assembly but it looks like the switch must be near the top, probably right under the plastic shell. Maybe this will help, got it from KA's site.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

See 14on the diagram, that is the 2 bolts I was describing.

Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

Theres really no information about dissembling this disposal. If those bolts dont do it ill have to opt out for another expert maybe they have a repair manual.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see what you're talking about but that looks like it would get me to the armature and such. The switch I'm talking about is on the first page, parts 25-29. I'm trying to remove part 18 to get to it.
Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

I believe that would allow you to remove the shell of the disposal. You cant access that switch out removing that part. Also the second page is just a blow up of whats inside of the disposal. I dont see any way to remove the shell from the first page

Expert:  kingmz replied 1 year ago.

But ill opt out, hopefully another expert has more insight. I dont weant to waste any more of your time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, make that part 17 and maybe 18. I believe it's parts 16 and 19 that are holding part 17 from being lifted off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind, I got the cover off by pulling the black rubber grommet out, the the cover was able to go over the metal ring/bracket part. I'm still not sure what the small screws I removed are for but the holes are rusted out too badly to reuse.