Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Maytage centennial washer....water fills in all cycle

Customer Question

Maytage centennial washer....water fills in all cycle throughout the wash, it never stops running. Please advise.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the washer keeps filing and it never stops and never overflows, your drain hose is to blame. If the drain hose isn't routed properly, it will keep siphoning the water out as it's filling. The drain hose needs to raise up to the top of the washer before going down into the stand pipe on your house. Make sure the hose is not shoved down too far as well. The drain hose should only go about 8" into the stand pipe. Zip tie the hose to one of the fill hoses or something else to make sure the hose can't fall out or fall down further over time causing this same issue you're experiencing now or a flood.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't think the drainhose is the problem. It drains fine. It runs water constantly even as I move it through all cycles manually right at start up.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

By run water you mean that it's filling with water? And does it overfill if you let it? If not, then the drain hose is definitely your problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I start the washer and water runs. I can advance it to spin and it drains what little water I have let fill. I can manuall twist the timer in run mode and the water runs constantly throughout the whole wash cycle no matter what location the dial is in and no matter what wash cycle I choose.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

And it doesn't overfill? Then the drain hose is your problem as I mentioned before.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If it was filling with water constantly, it would flood your house if there were any other thing causing it to keep filling other than the drain hose siphoning the water out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does overfill. If I walk away, the water continues to run and overflows. Awhile back it would overflow regularly. I then thought there might be something clogging the level control and I ran a full cycle with several cups of clorox thinking it might clean the level control. It worked for a good while, maybe several months until now. I checked the drain hose and it is zip tied in the position that Lowes put it when installed. It has a white plastic piece at the end of the hose where it enters the drain pipe and it is in its proper position on the hose. It only allows the hose to go into the pipe maybe 6- 8 " and it is zip tied. At the washer end, the hose appears to have a fixed position.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK well that makes a world of difference if it does overfill---that isn't a drain hose issue then. I asked if it overfilled or mentioned that this was only the case if it did NOT overfill about 3 times prior and you never said anything until just now.

If the washer does overflow, you either have a sticking water valve on your washer, or the pressure switch isn't reading the water level properly. The way to know which one is your issue is to wait until it should not be filling anymore and it's still filling. Then just turn the dishwasher off. Does the water stop? If not, then you need a new electronic water valve because the valve is sticking open. If the water does stop, then you need to replace the pressure switch sensor.

You'll need the correct model number to order either part and the number you have listed is a part number, not a model number. The model number would be located under the lid down near the hinge (not on the lid itself). It'll be tucked up underneath and very difficult to see.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a clothes washer. From what you are saying, it sounds like it I need a new electronic valve. The only way I can stop the water is to unplug it or turn the water supply off. If I turn the water supply off, I still hear the cold and hot water solenoids humming.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I know it's clothes washer. I'm sorry I used the word "dishwasher" once. And that sounds like a bad control board you have if it WILL shut off by unplugging the washer but won't shut off by turning the washer off.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?