Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My freezer is too cold, and I can't figure out how to adjust

Customer Question

My freezer is too cold, and I can't figure out how to adjust properly.
Model RF217ACPN, serial #Y4AU4ADC400543R
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

What settings do you have it on or set to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now, freezer 8F, fridge 38F
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The range I get to select from on the freezer is -8F to 8F, seems to me I would want higher than 8F. How do I get higher?

You want the freezer at 0 degrees and the refrigerator at 40, there is no higher setting than 8 degrees as the unit will not work correctly if the freezer goes to 10 degrees or more. This is totally correct for your unit.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am totally NOT satisfied. My freezer setting is at 8 degrees and the food in the freezer is covered with ice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to me that means it is too cold.

Ok if there is actual ice on the food you may have a water leak in the freezer from the icemaker or another source. Ice can only form if there is water on it or the doors are not sealing correctly and moisture is forming due to warm humid air entering the unit. The temps in the freezer should be 0 degrees. You have one of the other issues I listed happening here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not happy. Our ice cube maker is bypassed. We did not hook it up because the water line would have to go under the house and in the winter we were afraid it would freeze (so I don't believe there's a water leak). The ice on the food in the freezer is flaky, not solid. Any other ideas? By the way as stated earlier, my settings were at 38 fridge, and 8 freezer. At your suggestion I changed that to 0 freezer and 40 fridge. Should we wait a day or so to see if this does any good (although I don't see how lowering the temp in the freezer would help)? ???????

YEs give it 24 hours and see what happens, also check all the door seals on the unit make sure you have no gaps at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's where we're at. It's been 2 days since I set the temps to 40 fridge and 0 freezer at your request. There seems to be a slight SLIGHT improvement. Food taken from the freezer still almost needs to be cut with a saw (can't eat ice cream with a spoon). I noticed some food not covered with the flaky ice (where before it was ALL covered), so I'm going to wait a few more days to see if it gets better. Just because you don't hear from me for a few days does not mean I'm a satisfied customer.

Ok no problem at all.