Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a KitchenAid Superva Refrigerator 25.4 Model

Customer Question

I have a KitchenAid Superva Refrigerator 25.4 Model KSRS251IKWH01
It was manufactured on October 2001.
It had been working okay, but, I was gone for two days and my freezer door was not entirely closed so everything got spoiled. I clean everything up and closed it, but it has been two days and it is not cooling. Could it be something really simple?
Justo
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon! My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your refrigerator today.

To answer your question, leaving the door open will make the freezer as well as the refrigerator warm because when the door is left open, moisture builds up in the vent system and frost restricts the air flow from going to the refrigerator from the freezer. What you'll need to do is either unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours, or take the freezer apart and remove the back wall so you can thaw the frost out with a hair dryer to get the unit working again like normal.

Now if that doesn't work, try to unplug the unit for 24 hours and just allow the compressor to cool down because it has been overworking. If you plug it back in after 24 hours and it still doesn't cool, the compressor was damaged from working too hard and you'd need a new compressor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried your suggestion but it did not work. Anything else I should try?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you mean by tried my suggestion. I gave several and the last option was that the compressor would need to be replaced. If you had replaced the compressor the unit would certainly work.