Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Barry I have an amana 2 door bx21 ref. Freezer at the

Customer Question

Hi barry
I have an amana 2 door bx21 ref. Freezer at the bottom.
The freezer is fine.. but ref is not cooling.
There is frost buildup at the back wall of the freezer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Good morning! So let's start by explaining your problem.

This issue means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running and needs to be replaced. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own.

Now if you don't have a multimeter to test continuity, I would replace the defrost thermostat as that is typically the part that fails so below is a link to that part.

CLICK HERE for defrost thermostat

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just shut off the unit and am waiting for it to thaw. Once i get back home after work i will do and check what u suggested and let you know how it all worked out. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No problem and good luck to you.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?