Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

How do I fix the heavy coil that turns to push out the ice

Customer Question

How do I fix the heavy coil that turns to push out the ice when it comes loose from the plastic "wheel" at the end?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

What model is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model 590...it's probably over 20 years old but still works like a charm.

ok one sec

ARe you talking about the ice bucket white auger

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
although our auger is silver.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am going to bed so will get back to you in the morning.

Yes I am trying to dig it up it is just an old unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The actual ice maker has been replaced and works fine...it's just the auger in the ice bucket that has slipped its mooring, so to speak. We're just dealing with the bucket that catches the ice, the very strong steel auger, one large but thin white plastic "washer" and the end piece that the end of the auger fits into. Getting that all back together is the trick??

Can you send me a pic of the pieces, I can tell you how it goes together...but I can not find you a good picture of it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are 4 shots...one shows all pieces we have...one shows the bucket with the auger inserted but not attached to the small end, one shows the part where we are stuck as we can't get the auger end to fit into the white round end piece, and one is a shot of the empty bucket. Hope this helps.

Yes from my experience when that happens the auger will keep coming out of the large plastic circle. It is a pain to get it back in and you have to work it around to get it in that hole to twist it in place...get someone with strong hands to do it. It is can be a really pain to get it back in there.