Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Ge model JB24D MiBB, after self cleaning, I can't unlock the

Customer Question

Ge model JB24D MiBB, after self cleaning, I can't unlock the oven? What can I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This is probably the most common issue that GE ovens get during self clean cycle. It sounds like your door latch may have failed. Try turning the breaker off to the unit for 60 seconds to see if it will reset. When you turn the circuit breaker on go inside and push on the door and hold it for a minute or two in case it's rubbing on the door latch not letting it release. If that doesn't work, then try to set the self clean, wait 60 seconds and cancel it to see if that will reset the door latch assembly. If nothing resets the door lock, then you just need to manually open the door and replace the door latch assembly. It's not easy to manually unlock the door. You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top. Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly. Now I do want to also add that you may need something stronger than a coat hanger to manually open the door. If you have an "L-shaped" tool like a cotter pin puller or allen wrench, that might give you the added strength to be able to pull on the latch and release it.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?