Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Have a 10year old Kenmore elite rerigerator 3-door.

Customer Question

Have a 10year old Kenmore elite rerigerator 3-door. Refrigerator cooling fine. Yesterday left the freezer drawernot fully closed by mistake for about 3 hrs., about an inch not pushed in. Closed the freezer last night, but this morning everything in freezer is mush. Did I blow "a gasket" as they used to say or is there anyway I can restart it??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

When the door gets left open, too much frost builds up in the vent behind the back panel in the freezer and blocks the air from circulating properly. Hopefully this is the problem and you can take the refrigerator apart and remove the back panel to check. If so, then use a hair dryer or just unplug the unit for 24 hours to thaw all the frost out. When you plug it back in, the unit should work properly again.

Now if for some reason there is no frost build up, leave the unit unplugged for 24 hours because the compressor may have just overworked and needs time to cool down. If it still doesn't work after the 24 hour cool down, then you need a new compressor I'm sorry to say.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?