Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Kenmore icemaker undercounter 89489993 does not make ice If

Customer Question

Kenmore icemaker undercounter 89489993 does not make ice
If I unplug the ice maker and leave it for a day it will generally start making ice. After it fills completely, at some point within a day or so I will notice that the ice is no longer making. The water is running over the plate but the compressor does not seem to be running.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

Does the display board indicate any errors or the internal board have any flashing errors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, everything works as normal. I believe the compressor is just not starting. This model only has on, off, clean and then twice or normal ice on the front control panel.

Ok typically if the compressor is not starting that could be a compressor relay issue, but often it is just a bad main board or relay on the main board causing the compressor not to run, that is why it works for a day or so and then does not work anymore.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After testing the parts you mentioned I still could not find the issue so I kept reading and found where the evaporator thermistor could cause this issue. When I unplugged it ice started making as expected. I have used it on and off for a few days but not for extended periods of time. I have a new thermistor on the way that will hopefully resolve the issue.

ok sounds good