Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

UPRIGHT Freezer. I moved my freezer and the temperature

Customer Question

UPRIGHT Freezer. I moved my freezer and the temperature Alarm light came on and stays on. Is there anything I can check?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So really the only thing you can do to start is see if the over temp light is accurate or not. Put a cheap thermometer inside the freezer and it should be around 0ºF in 3-4 hours or so. If it's somewhere above 15 degrees then you have a problem and you could have a freon leak, defrost issue, a bad inefficient compressor or something else. Otherwise if the temperature is reading properly, then the control board is just confused and you'll want to unplug the freezer for 5 minutes to see if it resets. If not, then the control board would need to be replaced to get rid of the light.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HOW CAN i CHECK A FREON LEAK ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You can't check for one yourself. You must be licensed and you'd need specialty tools like a piercing valve, torches, and gauges to tap into the freon system to check the pressure. This will require a technician.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?