Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our 8yr old maytag model mbl2562kes bottom freezer fridge

Customer Question

Our 8yr old maytag model mbl2562kes bottom freezer fridge will start making a clicking noise and then warm up so that things in the freezer start melting. it normally runs -2 and 39 degrees. It will warm to 14 or more in the freezer and up to almost 50 in the main box. It will over time go back to the normal operating temp. three repairmen have failed to fix. could this be the thermistor? Help!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

This is not a thermistor. This is a well known problem with this refrigerator and the problem is your compressor. The compressor swells up from the heat over time and then it seizes up. The clicking noise is the compressor trying to start up. Eventually it may break free and start working again, but the issue will continue to happen until you replace the compressor I'm sorry to say and that is a $650 repair.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about the defrost thermostat? the compresser seems to be running all the time
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The defrost thermostat doesn't make a noise to start with, but that would just cause the unit to not defrost if it was faulty. Trust me, I know you don't want to hear that such an expensive part has failed, but I wouldn't tell you it needs to be replaced if I didn't believe it needs to be replaced. This model is very well known for this problem by authorized servicers.