Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Why do i have power at all 4 terminals of my defrost timer?

Customer Question

why do i have power at all 4 terminals of my defrost timer? the timer is new. i even get a 120v reading on the neutral terminal to ground on a metal surface. i can turn timer to defrost mode and 1 terminal drops out then when timer kicks back into service mode all 4 light up and timer clock doesnt run. you have to manual advance it to defrost again then timer runs until defrost is over. also there is power to defrost heater but it doesnt appear to heat up
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

You do not have a neutral wire to the timer !

And please explain they all four (light up)?

Has the timer recently been replaced?

Ok I see it is new ,what was the part number of the part that you installed in this unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from easyapplianceparts.com their stock number is ***** i was told terminal 3 is basically a neutral. is that wrong?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the reason i put a timer on was that the original one from factory had started to be intermittent then stopped turning all together after defrost just like the new ones.All 3 timers do the same thing so im guessing that the original was ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure how "just answer" works. are the answers all coming through emails?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello? Anybody there?

Yes after the holiday you are not the only customer that I`m trying to assist !

Are you testing for voltage to the terminal with the terminals still on the timer or off the timer?

And terminal #3 red goes to the compressor and condenser fan motor and the freezer thermostat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started out by saying that i dont know how "just answer" works!! I dont know the response process, anyway, I am testing with the timer plugged in at the wire crimps. I put a lead to the timer and a lead to the bare metal of the fridge and get 120 at each leg all the time until i rotate timer into defrost then one leg drops out.

ok lets unplug the timer and test for voltage to each leg to ground and let me know which if any have voltage to ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. Im heading home in little bit. I will send results when i get there. Im at work when i found this sight so i wasnt ready to test. Thanks

Ok no problem ,

I`m online until 5 p.m. EST

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so between one and three I have 120 volts and between one and ground to the fridge Metal I have 120 that is the only leg with power.

Ok so that is correct! #1 black is L1 to the timer.

And your saying that in run cooling that you have no timer operation? is that correct?

The timer is internally wired so it has or should have voltage during cooling and in defrost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. Timer only rotates for the 30 minutes of defrost and the #4 terminal drops power for the defrost cycle. Then it kicks on and timer stops turning and all terminals read 120v to ground
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The #2 terminal doesnt drop out for cooling cycle so evaporator is iced over after 2 days. Freezer is -3° when you defrost and start over. I just checked and the defrost heater is iced over and has 120v going to it.so its obviously not working

terminal #4 should also power the timer motor thru red #1 terminal when the freezer thermostat is closed the time only advances in the cooling model when the compressor is running .

and if terminal #2 pink does not drop out then the timer motor is not getting voltage during a defrost mode.

As for the defrost heater ohm the heater out and the defrost thermostat.