Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE refrig with bottom freezer is running with freezer

Customer Question

My GE refrig with bottom freezer is running with freezer cold but refrigerator warm. What is the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I know the issue is in the refrigerator, but the first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the entire back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are the packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, not frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. A repair person will do the job.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Alright sounds good. Generally when the refrigerator stops cooling and the freezer continues to work it means that you have a defrost issue or the fan has stopped working. The repair cost will likely be about $150-200 just so you know what you're looking at.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?