Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Kenmore Elite electric range, Model C970688322,

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Elite electric range, Model C970688322, Serial No. NF81411518 that is 7.5 years old. When trying to set preheat I get an F31 Err on the screen. Does that mean the mother board is gone?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

The F31 error code indicates a shorted oven temperature sensor probe. You will need to check the sensor for 1100 ohms at room temp with a meter. If the probe tests good the main clock control board is bad. It generally is a bad clock when I see that code though.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks