Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Freezer stop freezing

Customer Question

Freezer stop freezing
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Freezer stop freezing. Seems like compressor keeps cycling off and on
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

How fast is it cycling on and off and do you have the complete model number off the machine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does it about every five minutes but it only stays on for a 10 to 20 seconds. The model number is *****

That is the compressor relay on the unit. If you are hearing a twangy buzzing noise associated with the clicking that is not good and could be a bad compressor. Otherwise it is just the compressor relay bad. You need to pull the unit out and remove the back panel on it. You will see the compressor and the white relay mounted to the left side of it. Slide that relay off and shake it...does it sound like sand is in it? If so it is bad for sure. You can order one here CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't hear anything shaking in the relay.

OK is the compressor hot to the touch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok you either have a bad relay or bad compressor the only way to really know is put a new relay on it, the compressor could be bad, but if it is not buzzing when it tries to start it probably is not bad, but you really need a new relay to know for sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible for a relay to be bad even if you don't hear anything when you shake it?

Yes it is totally possible as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I ordered one.

Ok leave the unit unplugged though until it comes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I suppose to do with my stuff in the refrigerator?

I would get a cooler with ice or another unit as it will not be good much longer anyway

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not be good much longer anyway?

The food if you leave it like that the cooling will be gone in a matter of 4-5 hours.

I am talking about the food being bad or thawing out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. I thought you were talking about the refrigerator.

No just the food...basically the compressor is not running but trying to so you do not want to damage it anymore at all by overheating it so unplug it and get somewhere to put your food.