Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I've been dealing with Tyler Z but he is offline and i

Customer Question

hello I've been dealing with Tyler Z but he is offline and i need to get this fridge back on. Can someone tell me after i replace the main control board does the fridge turn right on or does it take some time? Should I plug it right in or is there some
thing i need to do before applying power?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

It should fire right up, nothing you need to do.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay.i plugged it in and dont see the fan in the back bottom spinning,lights are on in both the fridge and freezer what should i expect next?

Is the compressor running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i tell?

Just put your hand on it, it would be vibrating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont feel anything when i touch it

Ok if it is not vibrating and is not running what is on the display?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont have a display.it just has a selector panel with water,crushed,cubed.and light but thats all

OK what do you have to set the temps dials?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure let me chx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
their both on the outside door and i just set them both to 8. the compressor still isnt vibrating but the fan across from it is now turning.

Ok if the fan is now running the compressor should be running and have power. So the relay could be bad on the compressor or the compressor could be bad, you can check the relay for 120 volts to it on the compressor if you have that there that should run. If not replace the relay on the compressor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i didnt need to replace the main board? And where is this relay for the compressor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also what do i need to test with? ohm meter,volt meter and what should the meter be set at to get the proper readings?

Just set your meter to AC volts and check across the two wires to the really it is mounted to the left side of the compressor. you should see 120 there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ill look for it but i didnt see it. what does it look like and what does it plug in to besides the compressor?

Just the compressor..it is mounted right to it on the left side of the compressor..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a meter that reads ac what should it be set to?1000,250,50,10

250 volts AC you should read 120 when that fan is running

If you do replace that relay it just slides straight off like a plug in a wall..just wiggle it a little back and forth while pulling straight back to get it off. Order one through Searspartsdirect.com with your model. I will be gone for just a bit but I will be back later. All I ask is please rate my help thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i going to try to send you some pics of what i did ti get the readings.i used a pigtail and just shoved the test leads into it and as best i can tell the relay is a gray box on the side of the compressor right/?♦
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hope you get this and they help

That is an inverter board compressor do you have 120 volts going to the two wire pigtail to that grey box? If so check and see if you have 3 to 5 volts DC going to the other small two wire plug going to that box let me know what you find