Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Have whirlpool drop in oven - both broiler and bake elements

Customer Question

have whirlpool drop in oven - both broiler and bake elements will not work after running cleaning cycle. I looked at back of oven for thermal fuse but doesn't appear to have one.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

Give me just a minute to pull up your model.

Ok on your unit you do not have any high limit thermostats on your unit. The clock control controls both elements. So you can check the wiring to the elements for anything burned out. If there is nothing wrong with the wiring you need a new clock control for it, the issue is they do not make your control anymore so you would have to send it in to APPLIANCETIMERS.com to get it repaired. Lastly just confirm you have 240 to the unit at the terminal block on the oven as that could cause this issue as well if you lost one leg of the power supply.

We are on the honor system for our time(LABOR DAY), all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for response.
Is the $18 a one time charge?Would the clock control be bad if clock is working?
Everything works except both elements. ..wouldn't this indicate that there is sufficient power?

It is a one time charge and I am only paid after a rating of 3 stars or higher....I would check the power to the unit as it would be unlikely that both BAKE and BROIL would not work, but they are powered right from the clock with no high limits to cut them out so either you have a power issue or the clock control is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say power issue. ...do you mean to the entire oven or to a particular part of it? The burners work and do does all else. ..thanks. ...

If the burners are working then power should be fine to the unit, the clock or a wire to the elements is bad, they have one common wire between them so it could be the issue. The relay solder joints often overheat on the clock board and burn off so if you are really hand take the clock out get at the backside of the board and check the solder joints.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the clock still work if that was the case?I'm trying to get to control board but not sure how the front panel comes off....working on it. ...

Yes the clock would still work for sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the next step? Do I have to send the control panel in when or if I get it off?

I would inspect the back side of the board when you get it out...there are two large black relays on the board...check the backside for burn marks...if so you can maybe fix it with a solder gun or send it off to APPLIANCETIMERS.COM

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. What do I do now to pay? If I have additional questions or need help, is that covered. ..and for how long? What do I owe?

Just use the star rating link on your page to credit me an pay...you can come back to me basically forever on this issue for FREE. RIGHT HERE!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I viewed so many different troubleshooting websites and I want to confirm what the total cost is and make sure it's not a monthly charge or something I have to cancel to discontinue.....is there a phone number to call ?

You can contact customer service but you already paid an amount, us techs just get a small portion of that amount only after a 3 star rating or higher is made, otherwise we get nothing. You would have had to signup for a monthly subscription and paid a lot more. You just have a one time payment that is it really.