Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a model #khms2050sss-2 KitchenAid microwave. Will not

Customer Question

I have a model #khms2050sss-2 KitchenAid microwave. Will not power up. Checked breaker it house fuse panel, ok. Has power to outlet. Display panel is blank. Any ideas ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

There is an internal 15amp bus fuse inside the unit that is likely blown. You need to remove the plastic upper grill above the door, typically there are 2 or 3 screws along the top edge or small ones in the grill to remove to get it off. Once that is off you will see a single phillips screw above the control console. Remove that and lift up on the control panel. It will lift up off the key lock slots and rock forward exposing the inside of the unit. Check in there for the fuse which looks like this. CLICK HERE

The fuse may be in the little pocket above the control console are as well you just need to look around for it. Take that out and replace it. Now if it blows right away again you have a dead short in the system, if it blows when turning the unit on to heat you have an issue with the magnetron tube or diode typically on the unit. You just have to see.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed the instructions given, remove grill on top of microwave, only thing I got acces to was the light for the microwave, no fuse in this area The control panel for this model is in the door. See attached photo.

Do you see any screws on the side of the control panel or above it? The picture did not come through.