Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My lignitors keep on firing on the stovetop. I used alcohol,

Customer Question

My lignitors keep on firing on the stovetop. I used alcohol, I have tried to dry them by turning on the burners and then letting them cool. they keep on firing. I think I started the probelm tonight when I set a wet frying pan on a burner to dry it. But now it has gotten worse and worse. keep firing at least three of them in succession. the last time I tried to clean the tops of the metal pins with alcohol I got an electric shock just touching the front of the range. I can tell from reading the manual that this is something that hppens often, and I am sure my range has been dirty, and until tonight I am sure that I have used other kinds of cleaners on it.... but I need to know what to do. I thought I could just unplug it and deal with it after the three day weekend, so I pulled it out from the wall, but it is wired in thru a box or something. I am a bit panicked. Do not want to go to bed with these burner igniters firing constantly. Oh, I have an Epicure 36 "Dual Fuel Range. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Cris
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the wet pan somehow leaked water onto one of the burner switches. Usually you can flip the circuit breaker off to the stovetop for 24 hours and just allow everything to dry out and then when you flip the power back on it'll work like normal. If not, then the faulty burner switch would need to be replaced to resolve the issue and the burner switches are located behind the burner knobs and slide onto the same shaft that the burner knob slides onto.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?