Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

How do I turn my water off the front door water is dripping

Customer Question

How do I turn my water off the front door water is dripping and won't stop
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The only way to turn the water off if it's dripping out the dispenser is to turn the water off on the house valve that supplies water to the refrigerator. You will want to pull the refrigerator forward and see if there is a shut off behind the refrigerator on your house. If not, follow the water supply line from your house and if it goes into the floor it likely goes down into the basement of your house somewhere and clamps onto an existing water line where it pierces a small hole into one of the water lines on your house. This is called a saddle valve and you'd need to just keep turning the handle on this valve many times clockwise until it doesn't turn anymore in order to shut the water off.

As for your problem, the electronic water valve on your refrigerator will need to be replaced. This is the plastic water valve with all the water lines going to it mounted under the refrigerator in the back. Just pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel in order to see the valve tucked away in the back corner somewhere.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this look like the water line and valve ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Yes that looks like it could be it if that stainless steel braided hose goes to the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure. But am I right in assuming I can't buy anything by turning it off until I get a plumber here tomorrow. Right ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We turned it off and no more dripping though
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That isn't a gas line and valve is it ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Correct. And don't call a plumber---he can not fix your problem. You'll need an appliance technician to replace the electronic water valve on your refrigerator.

As for the valve---not it's not a gas line--it's a water line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem but I'm very sorry about the bad news. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Was there something else you needed as I see this question is still open?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?