Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have a WP frig. M#hrw3315398. The freezer is not freezing

Customer Question

I have a WP frig. M#hrw3315398. The freezer is not freezing and the frig is not real cold. I can hear the motor trying to click on but after 30 seconds you can hear it click off. I pulled the thing out took off the back and unplugged it. I pulled off the 2 pieces off the black tank.....one was part #jsv18x126aqk/to8-27 and part #513605003/11371108e4/w10189190/t8d2. The click comes from these to parts. Do these control the cold?
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model# *****
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave. The parts you are asking about are the starting components for the compressor. Do you need current part numbers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It clicks trying to go on then it clicks about 30 seconds later. I pulled 2 parts off the compressor. It that the parts I need to fix it?

Yes. When you shake the relay does it rattle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exactly! What is the part or parts numbers I will need? Thanks Dave

Yes, that is a bad relay. The part number is ***** It is a relay and overload so it is all you need. Replace yourself and save money!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The part number above was a starter device. I installed it and it still clicks like the old one did. There is black part that plugs into that. Should I have replaced that part too?

No, that is a run capacitor and does not come into play for start. The bad news is that you have the very unusual condition of a stuck compressor. I don't think it is possible to install the start device incorrectly. There are three terminals on the compressor and only one way to push it on. A appliance tech would be able to bypass all start devices and try to start the compressor manually but when you put on a good start device and it still won't start it can only be the compressor. Replacing the compressor requires special equipment and is very expensive. Sorry for the bad news.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On a scale of 1 - 10......I would rate this as a 8. Thanks

.