Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

The light in my refrigerator and freezer stopped working. I

Customer Question

The light in my refrigerator and freezer stopped working. I unplug the unit for a few seconds and plug it back in and they work but only for couple minutes. Not sure what problem is?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks. So let’s get started!

Often the switch goes bad on the door frame itself, you may want to replace it and try it out as it would be the most common issue for that problem...CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually it is not the lights only it appears that the unit is not running. If I unplug and plug it back in everything runs OK but only for 5-7 min then shuts off. I have read that it could be a fuse that controls ice maker (which is not working) and the evaporator fan. Is there a way to reset the control board?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found this very similar problem on other website. Problem is exactly the same as mine...... I have a Kenmore 795.79302.901 refrigerator that is 1.5 yrs old. A week we noticed several things that were not working: (1) Icemaker, (2) refrigerator was not cold, although the freezer as cold (possibly colder than usual), and (3) the freezer and fridge lights did not turn on when the respective doors were opened. I found that the lights would work again if if I unplugged the fridge, but they would stop working again in ~5-7 minutes. This was completely reproducible. The lack of cooling of the refrigerator seems to be the result of an inoperative evaporator fan. Now, what follows makes it more tricky. When testing the voltages at each input to the devices in the freezer mentioned above (ice maker, fan, and light) I shorted the two terminals in the light bulb socket, and the refrigerator was dead. At this point I called a refrigerator repair person, and his conclusion was that we needed a new circuit board (the one on the back of the fridge), at least because a fuse was blown. This was too bad, because apparently the circuit board (LG) is between $400 and 500. So I thought it would be worthwhile to test if the total lack of functionality of the fridge was due simply to a blown fuse. So I put jumpers across each of the two fuses (fuse1, fuse 2) and plugged in the fridge. The compressor kicked in, the freezer fan worked and the fridge light works without timing out. Also the ice maker works. Pretty amazing.

Does the unit go completely dead after running for 5-7 minutes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light on my ice maker is still on and the digital panel showing my temperature control is still lit. But the main lights are off and it appears that fridge and freezer are no longer running. When I plug it in it sounds like the freezer starts to run but the refrigerator seems to NOT be running.

This could be a number of things causing that issue, but I would say the board maybe bad on your unit. That is not a fuse issue as you have listed in the other post. This would be either a bad board or possible bad fan motor. You would have to test the fan motor with a meter to check it out and see, but I am leaning towards a bad board.