Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Sub zero 532, approx. 17 years old. Ice maker not working

Customer Question

Hi. Sub zero 532, approx. 17 years old. Ice maker not working and lots of frost in freezer, to the point where drawers are stuck. This seems to happen every year or so and Abt comes out and (I think ) unfreezes something (drain tube) and we are good for a while. I am in process of defrosting freezer, will inspect/clean drain tube on refrigerator side, and clean coils. I am pretty handy, and am happy to replace parts. A,azon has icemaker unit for $80 or so. Would prefer not to pull whole unit out of cabinet but will if necessary.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks. So let’s get started!

Remove the drawer on the unit to get at the icemaker and do you have a steamer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No steamer. Hair dryer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, there is real ice accumulation on the right rear corners of all of the freezer drawers below the icemaker, as if water was dripping down from that corner of the icemaker and then freezing.

Is the drawer sealing very good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean the door? Yes.

Is the frost light and fluffy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is fluffy frost near the door, but solid ice as described already.

This would typically mean you have left the door ajar or something is not sealing well. If there is light fluffy frost that only comes from the door being left open or a bad seal. This could also cause moisture and ice forming by the icemaker back. You need to defrost the unit or use a hairdryer to defrost the icemaker line to solve this, but if the door is tight make sure it is never left ajar of course.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks