Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Our electric bill has gone up in the last few months. Im

Customer Question

Our electric bill has gone up in the last few months. Im wondering if it is my Kitchenaid dishwasher. It serms to run hours even on the normal cycle.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks. So let’s get started!

The unit might not be totally causing your high electric bills, but there likely is an issue with the unit. There may be an issue with the turbidity sensor. It is likely scaled or gunked up and then that will cause the unit to run for excessive amounts of time. Watch this video and clean out the chopper, with it apart that far look to the right hand side of the sump. You will see a odd shaped plastic piece sticking up through the sump about the size of a quarter. You need to clean that piece off really good. There is a photo optic eye in the sensor and it needs to be able to see through as it checks the water clarity throughout the cycle. Often they get a thick white scale on them and need to be brushed off with some vinegar and cleaned. Once you have cleaned both the chopper screen and sensor you should be good to go! CLICK HERE VIDEO

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not getting anything when I Click Here Video.

Oh let me send it again! CLICK HERE

Please do not forget to rate my service using the star rating link thanks!