Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE fridge model GSH25JFXL BB and just over the last

Customer Question

I have a GE fridge model GSH25JFXL BB and just over the last 48 hours it has stopped freezing. The fan still blows,lights come on but it doesn't get cold enough to freeze anything or keep anything frozen. Any ideas as to what and where to start looking?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are the packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, not frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks didn't expect anyone to answer tonight. There is a fan blowing inside but I haven't pulled the back off yet.Are there any other ideas (external perhaps) that may be causing the problem?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

There are numerous possibilities at this point as to what can be wrong so until you know what the frost on the silver coils looks like you can't really get a direction as to what can be causing the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gotcha! will pull the back and check. do i need to have it unplugged to do the check?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

yes you should unplug it. It's about an hour later now since when you asked the question so I won't be on much longer so I may end up having to reply tomorrow if I don't get your reply before I log.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks i will start it now but have to work at 6am so i'll chat back with the results
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

goodnight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Tyler! I started working on the fridge and found out that the fridge part as well as the freezer part are both not cooling. The fan in the fridge part I don't hear running but the fan in the freezer is. Should I proceed with your first idea which is to pull the back panel inside the freezer and check the coils or does this give rise to something else I should start with?
Thanks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If neither side is cooling at all then I would pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel. Touch the big black round compressor and is it warm, blazing hot, or room temperature? Is the fan next to the compressor running? Please don't reply back until you have those answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got to the back and the compressor is cool to the touch and the fan on the vented thing on the right side is running
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
used a air compressor to blow loose dirt and crap out as well
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK so that means that the compressor is not getting power. There is a common problem with this refrigerator where the relay on the main control board mounted to the back of the refrigerator shorts out. That entire control board behind the 8" x 10" sheet metal panel on the back of the refrigerator will need to be ordered and replaced so below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for control board

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay is it hard for the layman to install? does it require any special tools?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

It takes me about 15 minutes so you might want to give yourself more time but it's all plug and play and very straight forward. No special tools are needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just got the new board in and want to know if there is anything i need to do before i plug it back in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to the electrical outlet that is
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Nope, you just plug the unit back in.