Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

My freezer is frosting up,[last 2 days] looks like icy snow

Customer Question

My freezer is frosting up,[last 2 days] looks like icy snow inside of my freezer section of the French door refrigerator that I have. 4 years old. never a problem like this. I cleaned out 1/2 thinking maybe it was to full. frozen items still hard but Ice cream is softer. Their is a switch in between the 2 bins, no markings on it but it doesn't move. Doors fit shut, no cold air leakage that I can tell, no alarm buttons on. Can you help me?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.

Hi, you have an air leak that has now caused a cooling issue. More common than you would think. The door seal around the freezer is either going bad, needs molded to frame, or the door was not shut so it did not seal. Those are the only options that cause this. If the door was left open over night, this would/could happen. The warm air hits the cold air and creates condensation. It then freezes. The fan inside the freezer pulls air across the coils to cool the refrigerator. When the frost builds up behind the back panel where you can not see it prevents the air from flowing correctly and this happens. It's common..

Unplug the freezer for 12-24hr with the door opened. That or take the entire freezer back panel out and manually defrost the evaporator with hot water and a blow dryer.

We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.

Thank you