Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GE ice maker in Arctica Profile side by side refrigerator

Customer Question

GE ice maker in Arctica Profile side by side refrigerator (model PSS26SGRD) is not cycling. I ran the diagnositic test (switching off the ice maker switch then pressing the feeler paddle in 3 times) and the ice maker cycled dumping ice and water came into the ice tray from the tube to the icemaker) but the ice maker won't continue the cycles making more ice without going trough the diagnostic test. The water dispenser on the dispenser panel has a good stream of water. Do you have any suggestions how to get the ice maker cycling again?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the icemaker won't cycle on it's own but it goes through 1 cycle when you do the manual test after pushing in the paddle 3 times, either the freezer is not below 10 degrees so the icemaker is refusing to cycle, or your icemaker has just failed and will need to be replaced. There are parts sold separately for the icemaker so it doesn't matter exactly what is wrong internally with the icemaker. GE decided to go with a more universal icemaker for their refrigerators to keep the cost of the icemaker down---the downside is that the icemaker itself is not serviceable.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I signed up for the $28 a month 5 question plan. Will I be charged for my question to you?Could the motor on the ice maker be frozen? Would heating it with a hair dryer help?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the motor on the icemaker is frozen, then the icemaker is leaking and while heating it up might temporarily fix the issue, the motor will freeze again and you'll be in the same problem in a couple of cycles. As for charges---I have absolutely no access or idea what you are signed up for or how you are charged. I'm am just an appliance expert with factory training. You would need to speak to customer service about any charges and whatnot.