Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Barry. I have a GE Artica Profile side by side fridge. I

Customer Question

Hi Barry. I have a GE Artica Profile side by side fridge. I have been having issues since last summer. In the wintertime the refrigerator gets too cold. No matter how high i set the internal thermostat, liquids still freeze in the fridge section. And in the summer, the thing barely gets cold enough. The freezer sections manages to stay in the 30 to 40 degree area, while the fridge reads 60-70 degrees, no matter how low I set the thermostat. I also hear a loud bang every now and then. I would imagine it the compressor. Any advice or ideas on what it may be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The bang would definitely be an issue with the compressor itself and that means that the piston inside the compressor has broken free so eventually it will jam and still and won't start up again---but I've seen these last for years before it fails completely if you can deal with the sound on occasion. Since the unit barely works in the summer you'll want to pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back panel to make sure the fan next to the compressor is running. It sounds like you have already cleaned the coils so if they are clean and the fan is running, the only repair you could do is replace the compressor which is about $600 or so to have replaced I'ms orry to say.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?