Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

KitchenAid, Model KHMS1850S, microwave, year installed 2009.

Customer Question

KitchenAid, Model KHMS1850S, microwave, year installed 2009. Tonight during a 9minute cook on 'HI' cycle, the turn table stopped, timer stopped, 'Cancel/Off' pad stopped working. Now, when the door is closed, the interior light comes on, the interior fan turns on, the turn table does not rotate (in either direction), and the Cancel/Off pad does not respond. If the unit is plugged in, just closing the door produces the above described effects. I can't turn it off unless I leave the door open (which leaves the interior light on) or I unplug the microwave. If I put some water in to heat, close the door, the unit sounds like it's working, but the water does not heat up. Recommendations and/or suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this service, please be patient as it takes time for me to type, add links and research your issue. I will get back to you as soon as I can thanks!

This is a common issue, either one of the door interlock switches has gone bad on the unit or the control is gone bad. There are 3 interlock switches on the door interlock inside the unit. You should check and test all of them to see if one is stuck as that can cause this issue and would be the most common reason why. If not then the control has gone out for one reason or another as that does just happen. Here is a video to help you test and check the switches on the door interlock circuit. CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please use the star rating link on your page to rate my service. This will allow you to get directly back to me for FREE followup questions anytime and tips are greatly appreciated thank you!

If you need anything else let me know, if not please use the star rating to credit me for my time thank you again for using this service!