Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Ge Spacemaker xl1800/model

Customer Question

I have a Ge Spacemaker xl1800/model jvm1842bd001/va963587s/nov 2001. About a year or less ago, the lights in the bottom that illuminate a stove/range top burned out. It was simple to replace the bulbs and sockets which also were worn. However, it has been
eating light bulbs since then. I have gone through at least four sets of bulbs by now. It is not any sort of high tech electronics. Just two bulbs, sockets and a connector plug and plain wiring connecting to wires that go up to the main control panel. And
it has a steady pattern. The left side bulb always burns out after about a week. The right side is on or off as it feels like doing. What is the problem and fix? Thank you Mr. Edward xxxxx
Category: Appliance
Expert:  DTech80 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, when you replaced the sockets and bulbs did you use GE parts of aftermarket parts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually both at different times. The sockets and some bulbs were mail order from Ge, Other bulbs were from local parts stores, but each package had the GE logo.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, I am a different tech, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue so do not rate me until we are done thanks.

Have you checked the incoming voltage to the unit with a meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I have not checked incoming voltage, but then oven otherwise runs perfectly normal. The interior light works fine. Would not a voltage spike trip the associated circuit breaker?

Not typically also what bulbs are you using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The same bulb that was installed at the factory and as specified in the instruction manual and the code number on the bulb itself.

Well the only thing that could cause that issue is a bad bulb, high voltage, or a bad socket there really is not anything else...Try another bulb or replace the socket on the unit.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks