Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

There was a power outtage earlier this morning and now my

Customer Question

there was a power outtage earlier this morning and now my refrigerator won't cool down. I have a GE Profile Arctica
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? And do you hear anything running at all now or is it 100% silent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PSC23NG I hear it running ... and now, it is on "Express Thaw". I didn't set that.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK perfect. That model number is ***** a partial number, can I get the full model located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator? Also, is either the refrigerator or freezer cooling at all right now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, it's silent now. neither the refrigerator nor the freezer is cooling PSA23SGPA BS
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK so the only thing that can possibly cause that is the main control board on the back of your refrigerator. The board must have shorted out when the power outage occurred. You can try to unplug the refrigerator for 5 minutes to see if the electronics will reset, but if that doesn't work then below is a link to the control board you'll need to order and replace which is located behind and 8" x 10" sheet metal panel on the back of the refrigerator. The part is all plug and play and takes only about 15 minutes to replace.

CLICK HERE for control board

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged and replugged. How do I know that it worked? Lights are on ... are there fans to check?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You just have to wait 5 or 6 hours and see if it starts cooling down. If not, then you need to replace that control board---that's the only thing that would shut everything down---there are no fans to check.

Again, please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why does it keep going to "Express Thaw". Is that a clue to anything?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

That is controlled by the control board. It sounds like even if the unit is working the control board is still not working completely correctly so you'd still need to replace the control board if you want it all to work like it should.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Googled that if I hold down the freezer, express thaw and refrigerator together, that will reset the panel. "Express Thaw" doesn't show anymore. It's been over 6 hours and my refrigerator still hasn't cooled. I ordered the control board. I guess I'll see where it goes from there.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK well good luck. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?