Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a safety question. I have an old upright freezer I

Customer Question

I have a safety question. I have an old upright freezer I want to turn in to a gun storage in my garage. I thought it would be easy, just take out the wire shelves and build in my own rifle rack and ammo shelves. After looking closer, I saw that each shelf has freezing tubes fastened to them and I will need to start cutting tubes. My question is, am I cutting into a pressurized refrigerant line, and how dangerous is that? What is the best way to gut the inside safely. Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So yes, you are cutting into pressurized freon lines if you're trying to remove the shelving. There is no hazardous concern as far as your safety if you do this, but you're supposed to call a technician out to evacuate the freon first so that it doesn't harm the ozone. Usually it costs about $125-150 to have someone come out and evacuate the freon from an older machine which is why most stores won't take away your old refrigerator/freezer when you buy a new one without a charge to do so since then they are responsible for removing the freon first.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?