Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GE fridge/ bottom freezer model no. GDS20KCSAWW, seri #

Customer Question

GE fridge/ bottom freezer model no. GDS20KCSAWW , seri # *****
the sides of the outside of the freezer are red hot, it seems to be running constantly , what is wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The sides get hot when the compressor is overworking. This usually means that the condenser coils below the refrigerator are packed with lint or it means that your fan next to the compressor isn't running anymore and would need to be replaced. Pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel. Look at the fan next to the compressor and if it's not running, remove any debris that may be blocking the fan from running and replace the fan motor if you find nothing. If the fan is running then clean the condenser coils next to the fan and give it 24 hours to cool down. If it still continues to be hot, you'll need to replace the compressor itself as it has just become inefficient.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.