Phil
Phil, Shop owner
Experience:  Degree, Mech. engr. shop owner. 51 years experience
23932409

My refrigerator and freezer will work day then starts to

Customer Question

My refrigerator and freezer will work for one day then starts to warm up until I unplug it and let it sit for a period of time. Then I plugged it back in and it starts working again. I measured all three thermistors from the control board connector and verified all three thermistor values were changing as the temperature was increasing. Measured the resistance of the heater coils from the control board connector and I read a values of ~ 27 ohms. Can you help me.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, if you have not cleaned the condenser coils under the refrigerator, the compressor will run hot and go off on its internal heat sensitive over load.

Have you cleaned the condenser and observed the condenser fan to be working whenever the compressor is running?

The other issue with these is the printed circuit board circuitry... it expands and contracts with each cycle and eventually micro cracks develop that open and stop the compressor until the card cools off.

Do this:

Clean the condenser, the heat stress test the printed circuit card.

Then.....

Use a hair drier to slowly and gently warm the card to 120F(warm to the touch but not hot and not over140F)... if you get any change in behavior that means the card is bad...

A micro crack has opened in the printed circuit at a solder joint, or inside its CPU in that case .... or a short circuit has developed as the card expanded when you heated it.

Constant expansion and contraction as these electronics heat and during their duty cycles over the years is what wears these cards out.

It is also a good idea to replug all of the connections in the unit,that burnishes any oxidized terminal connections and will sometimes solve the problem, especially at the printed circuit card and in any sensor molex connectors. Do that with the power off to the unit of course.

These cards are also damaged by Electrical Spikes caused by power failures and lightning. These high voltage spikes can literally explode the fine 'wire' connections inside the chip.There is also a shunt type device, often printed on to the card that allows a high voltage spike to arc across to ground harmlessly, some of these can wear out after a few times and allow the high voltage spike into the rest of the card and the CPU micro-circuits. The high end printed circuit cards use a large capacitor like device, or several in parallel, to capture and release such surges, these do not wear out.

We can go from there .

................

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today or tomorrow, the company only pays me if you rate my work. It is how I earn a living, and does not increase your charges.

If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cleaned the condenser several days ago and still got the same results. The condenser fan seems to ran all the time. I looked at the main control board and does not appear to have any burns marks. I will try the hair dryer.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

That will work, If I miss you tonight I will pick up your response in the morning.

.