Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a GE Heavy Duty top loading washer Model #

Customer Question

I have a GE Heavy Duty top loading washer Model # *****
Serial # *****
Everything works except the dial to begin the cycle. It just spins around and doesn't engage. Can you help me?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
I find nothing on the model number you have given of WWA5500VALWH

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the number listed on the metal plate on the side of the washer. There aren't any other numbers.

Are you in the U.S?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On Fire Island, New York

ok how old is this unit then?

I have looked on the GE data base and two parts dealers and they are all not showing it as a good number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked, too. My guess is that it's 10 years old but I can't be sure. As luck would have it, it is the one appliance I have where I can't find the manual! It is located in a beach house and only used during the summers, so I can't be certain of the age. But it works like a dream.

Ok I have to assume nothing can be found because of the age .most appliance manufactures only keep literature and replacement parts for 7 years.

If the timer dial just spins on the timer shaft ,you may have just a bad dial ,so dial just slip on the timer shaft ,I`m hoping the timer itself does not need replaced . because you can no longer get the timers ,just internal switches for the older GE timers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does that mean that I need, and how can it be ordered since we can't find a number that corresponds with spare parts online?

you will need to see if it is the dial that just spins or if it is the timer .and you will need a part number off of the failed part to see if it is still available or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, this doesn't really help I'm afraid. I can't take the dial off and will have to have a person come and tie a look at it. Thanks anyway.

Ok good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did "view your answer" and had to continue on my own. I have found the part elsewhere and am going to pick it up tomorrow. Thanks anyway.

That`s good ,BUT I never sent you an answer, just questions