Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Our gas range ( top) is sparking continuously. Turn back

Customer Question

Our gas range (cook top) is sparking continuously . Turn back left burner on they stop sparking. Turn this one off burners start sparking again. All burners are turned to off position when sparking.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for using this service I will be assisting you today. When you respond to me sometimes it may take me a bit to respond back as I am researching your issue and it takes time to type so please be patient.

This is fairly common one of the burner switch is defective and is stuck in the closed position. There is a switch behind each knob on the burner shafts. When you turn the burner knobs the switch closes like a light switch. That activates the sparking for all of the burners not just one of them as most people think. You have one of them that is just stuck closed and will need to be replaced. You need to get at the switches and unplug just one wire on each switch one at a time until the sparking stops. When it stops that is the bad switch. Replace that and you will be good to go!

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please use the star rating link on your page to rate my service. This will allow you to get directly back to me for FREE followup questions anytime and tips are greatly appreciated thank you!