Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a Whirlpool Duet HT front loader washing machine;

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Duet HT front loader washing machine; model WFW9200SQA12. It is tripping an F21 or SUD error intermittently, typically after a few loads have been run and the machine is warm. When the error occurs, it seems that either the agitator motor or the drain pump motor get stuck and continue to buzz (hum). I have checked the hoses and the cleaned out the trap at the drain pump. I felt the pump impeller and it feels tight and pops over if you turn it as I understand it should if it is in good shape. I have also replaced the pressure switch. I am guessing this is an issue associated with either a failing CCU or MCU? Is there a way to tell? I did remove and examine the CCU as one of the postings indicated the SUD error was caused by failing 2200uF capacitors on the main and satellite boards but the capacitors on my board show no signs of top bulging. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

What type of detergent do you use? HE or non HE

And how much detergent per load?

And have you ever used a store bought washing machine cleaner in the unit?

And when you hear this hum just feel of the drain pump is it running or vibrating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Always use HE detergent. About 1/2 of what they call for per load. I have never used a store bought cleaner. The hum that I have seen at either the agitator motor or the drain pump is a vibration on both, like they are receiving too little current to run properly. They start to get hot if the washing machine is not unplugged. When this happens, I cannot turn off the machine on the control panel. However, everything on the machine works fine usually for the first few loads but the issue is getting worse. I assumed this was caused by electronic components on one of the boards starting to go haywire when the circuitry gets hot?

1/2 of what they recommend ! They whom? the detergent manufacture or the appliance manufacture.

And is it 1/2 cup ,3 table spoons? can you give me some kind of idea!

Do you have a volt-ohm meter and know how to use it ? to be able to test any thing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They the detergent manufacturer. About half of what they recommend for the smallest load (1/2 of #1 on measuring cup) I haven't changed anything in regards ***** ***** amounts and never had problems before. I can get my hands on a multimeter and do know how to use it. I currently have the CCU out of the machine so I would need to put that back in. Let me do that, get ahold of the multimeter, and I'll see if you are available to chat on the phone.

Ok the detergent manufactures want you to use more detergent ,so you buy more ,for a duet front load washer you only need 2-3 table spoons of detergent per load .

The HE detergent is a concentrated detergent so you need to use less and with the new EPA phosphate guidelines the detergent can now suds up more.

So you do need to use a washer cleaner at least every 6 months or so .

To get rid if the (build up of detergent scum) on the interior of the outer tub and pump and hoses.

Unfortunately, a phone call is not something I'm able to do.
I`m an expert that works from a remote location and not in a Just Answer office.
I'm happy to continue corresponding with you here directly on your question page.

Just reply back when you can !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I pulled everything apart to thoroughly check it after I put the CCU back in. The MCU looked good, not obvious signs of failure and I also pulled the pump completely out and removed the motor from the screen assembly. I found the impeller is falling apart and is now very wobbly. I'm sure this is my issue so I'm on my way to find a new one. Thanks.

Glad to assist you any time.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.