Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a GE, model# tfx22crxfww. The fridge won't get below

Customer Question

I have a GE, model# ***** The fridge won't get below 60* and the freeze is 20*. I cleaned the coils VERY thoroughly yesterday. Defrost is working, as well as the fan in the freezer and the fan under fridge on backside.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what is the frost pattern on the evaporator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Consistent, snow like frost, not heavy.

The whole coil is frosty correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir, correct.

OK if that is the case and the fan is blowing the units compressor is likely not able to pull down the correct suction pressure. The older TFX models were famous for doing this. The frost pattern looks good but really it is not cold enough. Get you finger wet and touch the evaporator, it will likely not stick since the evaporator is cold but not enough. You need a new compressor for this issue. That unit is extremely old and parts are NLA so I think it is time for a new one sorry.

We are on the honor system for our time so please rate my service using the star rating link on your page before leaving and that will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE followup questions anytime....and tips are greatly appreciated thanks