Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Barry, We had a power outage hours last night and now our GE

Customer Question

Hi Barry,
We had a power outage for several hours last night and now our GE Cafe frdie/freezer is melting. Temp keeps rising. Tried unplugging for ten minutrs, breaker reset, making sure not off... the usual. I can hear a fan or fans running but the compressor doesn't seem to be kicking in. Thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I work on a tons of these after outages do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.

OK typically this unit is prone to an inverter failure or main board failure, sometimes both depending on the outage. If you go behind the unit and remove the rear panel see if the condenser fan is running, if it is there is a 99% likely hood the inverter board is out, which is mounted to the left of the compressor. This will not run at all without that working. You will have to get stuff in another unit as it is Friday and getting either board before next week is slim to none chance. I wish I had better news but check that fan next to the compressor to see if it is running, if it is not running the main board is bad for sure and quite possibly the inverter as well. Just did 3 within a month for outages.

We are on the honor system for out time, all I ask is please rate my service using the star rating link before leaving thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fridge and freezer are empty. Food has beeen trashed, so that's not an issue.

OK then I would shut it down and either get a tech out or a volt meter and I could show you where to test to fix it yourself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When ypu say shut it down, you mean unplug it until i get a tech or voltmeter?

Yes exactly!

Yes exactly!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, how do i reach you once i have a voltmeter. Won't be until tomorrow most likely. Hate to give your fee to someone else.

Just rate my service now with the star link on your page, you can then come right back to me for FREE followup questions directly to me!