Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I bought a 13.7 cu ft upright freezer 6/2013 and just this

Customer Question

I bought a 13.7 cu ft upright freezer 6/2013 and just this summer it started leaking water under it. It is in the basement and I had Home Service Plus out 2 times and they cleaned the drain hose the first time. After it was dry I shot off the dehumidifer and it leaked again. On the second trip they could find nothing wrong. What is wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Have you pulled the unit out and made sure that the drain pan does not have a crack in it or is not in place for the water to drain into!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Kenmore freezer. The Tech who came out put water into the pan and saw no leaks from it. I have now unplugged it and have taken all of the food out and put in a box with camping ice packs. it wont last all night. I have the dehumitifer on high and a fan blowing on the floor and planned to move the freezer back into place on top of a wood pallet with a washing machine tray with a hose attached to the bottom of the tray to drain to the floor drain 11 ft away. My son said this would be unsafe if water sat in the tray and could cause an electical fire with the freezer in the tray. I don't know what to do!!! All I asked was for him to come and help me lift the freezer up onto the pallet with the tray and drain in it. Is this a crazy idea? When I first called Sears I asked if this freezer was ever recalled for this problem and got no info other than go on line and ask you.

Ok well first off a recall is only on an unsafe issue that could cause bodily damage.

This would not fall into that category.

and yes they might have put water into the tray but did anyone slowly (trickle) water down the drain line to see if that (DRIPPING) water was even getting into the pan.

I say it that way because pouring a glass of water my go right into the drain pan ,but if the water drips out of the line then it may not drip into the pan ,I have seen that several times.

The freezer setting in the pan will not hurt the freezer ,As long as the pan does drain any standing water.

They set washers in drain pans every day \and if you set the unit up off the floor on a pallet just make sure that the pallet is sturdy and the freezer is on all for legs.

I noticed your request for a phone call. Unfortunately, that's not something I'm able to do.
I`m an expert that works from a remote location and not in a Just Answer office.
I'm happy to continue corresponding with you here directly on your question page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tech had a small hose with a bulb on the end so he squarted water down the inside vent so it went into the drain pan and he watch from the floor in the front of freezer with a flash light and I watched from the and we saw no leakage come out any where so it was more than a glass full..

again if you put a large volume of water down the line at one time it may not leak ,you need to just let it drip from the drain line!